Palais Saint-Jean

An episcopal residence from the Middle Age, the palace was completely transformed by Soufflot in 1750 and again by Chenavard and the Desjardins brothers in the 19th century.
The palace is today occupied by the Municipal Archives and the Academy of Lyon, above the district library. The handsome salons, decorated by Toussaint Loyer in 1761, are open to the public when exhibitions are staged. The building to the left closing off the inner courtyard was built by Decrénice towards the end of the 18th century.
Known as the "Nouvelle Manécanterie" ("New Choir Scool"), this former palace of the canon-counts of Lyon contains an exceedingly beautiful staircase and a chapter house.


(c)Ville de Lyon - MÉMOIRE DE LYON