Church of the Good Shepherd

Montée Neyret climbs steeply alongside the Eglise du Bon Pasteur, built in 1875-83 by the architect Clair Tisseur. Under the nom de plume of "Nizier du Puits Pelu", Tisseur also wrote books in Lyon dialect.

The architecture is an uninspired imitation of the medieval Poitou style, but the building is interesting for its sheer inaccessibility. There is no forecourt and the front door opens more than 3 metres above the ground! A staircase was planned but never built, for this would have necessitated demolition of the army barracks across the street - an idea totally unacceptable to the anticlerical third Republic.

(c) Parcours des Pentes de la Croix-Rousse