Rebirth of a quarter of Lugdunum

With its two theatres, this quarter was one of the busiest of the Gallo-Roman city. From the 4th century AD, the Fourviere hill was progressively abandoned and the monuments were quarried for their stone. In the Middle Ages, they has almost completly disapeared from the landscape. In 1933 began the total excavation of the two buildings, followed by their partial restoration. They are now used again for their original purpose each summer, when they host the Fourviere Night Festival.